- You are not a boy racer Saskia, you don’t even have a boy-racer looking car, so why do you drive like one?
- Don’t spend all of high school looking forward to finishing, you will miss the easiness of secondary school one day.
- Don’t take for granted the fact that you get to see your friends everyday, after high school you will have to make a lot more time to keep in touch with friends.
- Spend as much time as you can enjoying quality time spent with your family as a whole, before you are spread all over the country.
- Don’t get too worried about schoolwork; it’s a whole lot easier than university!
- Make the most of every opportunity for leadership within school, it’ll prepare you for any future responsibilities and opportunities that may come your way.
- Continually learn new and different sports, it’s more difficult to start from scratch when you leave high school, and when you’re the one paying the fees.
- Who cares If you don’t know what you want to do with your life, enjoy your current journey, everything will fall into place.
- Relationships at 16 aren’t really worth the heartbreak.
- Don’t think every friendship you have with a guy has the potential to turn into a relationship. Enjoy the friendships you have, treat those guys like your brothers, and don’t get too serious about life.
- Don’t just listen to pop songs on the radio, expand your horizons and be open to new genres of music you never thought you would’ve enjoyed.
- LimeWire is BAD! It will screw up your laptop with random viruses and will accidentally delete ALL your photos. (That was a bad day, trust me).
- Don’t be afraid to spend a bit of your hard-earned money on things that you want and need. When you become a student at university you won’t have as many opportunities to buy yourself things that you like, and there will be many other expenses (such as rent, power etc.). So make the most of the freedom from expenses you have now.
- It’s okay to say no when you get offered hand-me-downs from other people. You don’t have to say yes to every item of clothing, they're just going to sit in your wardrobe and never be worn. Don’t be afraid to say how you really feel.
- Don’t underestimate the danger of ice when driving.
- Embrace your quirkiness, be true to yourself.
- Get braces when your at high school, it’s worth it.
- Tell your favourite teachers how much of an impact they have had on your life.
- Don’t be afraid to check out alternative options for high school in year 13, it is possible to achieve NCEA credits through other courses outside of school.
- Go to every possible Mumsdollar concert while they are in their prime, and that goes for other bands too. Bands break up; they go their separate ways, so make the most of seeing your most favourite bands live!
- Don’t take so long to buy your first pair of skinny jeans. Seriously, bootlegs were like so 2005!
- Don’t be a model for a hairdressing salon, even though you get a haircut for free. They will shave the back of your head and make you neck very cold during winter. Just stick to the more expensive, but more tame standard cuts.
I am a daughter of the King, a passionate expresser of positivity and a lover of lists, food and creative expression.