- You come home to your flatmates all rugged up in dressing gowns, onesies and mink blankets in the lounge, with the heat pump off. You’ve gotta save power and money somehow right?
- Your clothes line never gets sunlight and your room is too small for a clothes horse, so you make your own washing line in your room (See photo from 2012)
- You go through a Mi Goreng noodles phase - and then get Mi Goreng'd out!
- There is some sort (any sort) of problem with your internet or phone line
- You wake up at 2 am to the sounds of freshers shouting into the whisper dish at the Otago Museum
- The water from the tap is colder than the water from the fridge
- You open the window and it's warmer outside than it is inside
- You can’t find any of the glasses for a drink of water, so you go into your flatmate’s room and they’re all sitting on their desk
- You wear long johns, pajama bottoms, a merino singlet, polyprop, David Bain jersey, 2 pairs of woollen socks, and a woollen hat to bed, and you’re just right.
- A TV in the lounge will bring a flat together to socialise
- You have a mice (rat) problem
- Your towel is still damp from yesterday’s shower
- It takes anywhere from 4 days to a week for clothes to dry indoors
- You have a flatmate who takes on the role of ‘Mum'
- Mince based meals are a common occurrence
- You have that one flatmate who often sings in the shower
- You have studied in bed, with your electric blanket on, or with a hottie
- You get anaemic, or malnourished
- It’s ok to have toast for breakfast, lunch and tea
- It is perfectly acceptable to wear your dressing gown for an entire day
- You have a flatmate (or yourself) that either sings really loudly all the time, or plays music really loud all the time
- Dishes never really get washed in the weekend, or during exam time
- Whenever someone cooks a roast, it is a good day
- You have a flat pet- we had Trevor the cat in my first flat!
- Staple fashion item: puffer jacket
Thankfully, a lot of the points in this list don't apply to me this year because I'm in a super warm flat, and actually get sunshine in my room! However, my previous flats have not been so kind to me. This list details some of my experiences from flatting in Dunedin!
I am a daughter of the King, a passionate expresser of positivity and a lover of lists, food and creative expression.