Photos by Natalie Ng
I thought I would do a wee appreciation blog on my flatmates for this year, since the year is almost over, and because my flatmates are like the coolest ever. Thanks girls x
Emily, Flemily, eMiley Cyrus… well well well, where do I even begin. First of all, thanks for being a great floor buddy! I love it how you get home from uni and we just hang out on my bed in the sun, just chilling, not even saying too much, just lying there, listening to music, being in each others glorious presence. Haha. You’ve actually brought colour into my dancing world, I now know how to dance ghetto and whip out a few booty twerks. Your dance moves really shone during our initial “When Jesus says yes, nobody can say no” song experience, and from that day forward, our friendship has never been the same. Recently we entered the cheeky phase of our relationship, this involved a lot of ruthless comments from both parties and a whole lot of joking round. You are definitely such a joker sometimes and I love it. However, our most recent phase, which I shall label the 'Dirty Flirty' phase, has been a whole lot of fun, and an emotional roller coaster. Our constant winking, pouting, and my fave the feisty/sassy ‘rawr’ have been received with great intensity and appreciation. I love hearing you jam away in your room, whether it be on keys or the guitar, you just have a natural talent that is a joy to be around and to hear. I love your surprises and spontaneity, so it was a great day when you gave me toast cut in weird shapes, I actually loved it. You're a great flatmate, so chill and easy going, and an even better friend! Love ya x
Mica Doceeeeeeeeee, you are something special! I love your energy and passion for food and for life in general! You are actually so chill and easy going it’s incredible. I’ve always found it funny when I’ll be in the lounge and I hear you coming down the stairs from your bedroom... on the 3rd floor. I always know when you are coming, I’ll be like “Oh hear comes Mica!” I love hearing you sing! You sing all the time too! When you’re cooking, doing the dishes, putting your clothes in the washing machine, or your classic go-to, the shower. You also have wisdom beyond your years and are so easy to talk to about everything. And your food! Oh my gosh! YOUR FOOD! Flip girlfriend, you know how to cook! Someone should wife you asap! Seriously, your ease in the kitchen is astonishing! I love how you’re so outgoing too! Like you just love being around people and hanging out. You’re a great flatmate, and really handle all the jokes and cheeky comments that get thrown your way, being the baby of the flat and all. I love it how you really get my dry humour, and how we have that joke about everything being “pretty orange”, or “pretty legal”, it cracks me up! You're such a great flatmate and an awesome friend, I love ya girl! x
I honestly feel so stoked to be able to live with you, my genetic sister. I seriously love flatting with you and being able to continue spending sister time together. You bring me back to earth when I’m getting a little crazy, and you make me crack up laughing with your ‘Dad’ jokes, and occasionally super dry humour. I’ve always found it so funny how you are so passionate about fashion and cosmetics, yet when it comes to home life it’s almost as if that goes all out the window. The (fashionable ish looking) David Bain jumpers, ugg boots, (semi-fashionable) fat pants, and that funny pink pointy velcro hat come out to play. I laugh every time. But every other time your sense of fashion is both inspiring and motivating. You are a natural leader and are so proactive in organising everyone and everything you do. I love how you are unashamedly in love with….yeah, ok, I’ll leave it there. I’m sure most people will know who I'm talking about anyway... Oh and your dance moves….girrrrrl, your dance moves! I’m seriously blown away and left speechless by some of the moves you whip out sometimes. You obviously didn’t learn some of those moves from me, so I don’t know where you get them from! Maybe Dad…. Haha, nah, he doesn’t booty twerk. You’re always good for yarns, I love the sister time we get, staying up late after everyone has gone home and to bed, and we just talk about everything. It’s so cool that we just get each other, yet in reality, we are actually very different people, I’d say almost opposite in some aspects. But it works so well, and I’m so blessed to have you as my sister. I love you Sheri xx
I love it how you are one of those people who don’t try to avoid cravings, but hit them right on the head. If you have a craving for chocolate, icecream, or McDonalds you don’t just talk about it, you actually go out and satisfy the craving! Your stories about the different guys in your life always cracks me up, and I’ll never get sick of your classic chicken fried rice, sooooo goood! Loved having ya in the flat Shaz x
The Not Official (But Pretty Much) Flatmates
You have pretty much been our flatmate since July/August. So it’s going to be awesome to actually have you as an official flatmate next year! You bring such an awesome atmosphere to our flat, with your jams on the guitar and just general cruisiness. Your creative talents inspire and encourage me in my own life. Your musical and photography talents and general style make you so unique and bring something fresh! I’ve been loving the general flirting that has been exchanged between you and I recently too, who cares if Emily is getting jealous, I’m making the most of it before you leave for summer ;) Nana will just have to deal with it. I am in love with your iTunes, I know if I’m lacking music inspiration from my own iTunes, or just want to hear something new I can have a wee geeze at your library and I’m bound to find something that floats my boat. Two qualities that I find really stand out in you is your generosity and how you are humble in everything you do. You are seriously awesome girl. I just looked up and saw you in your Tigger onesie, you are such a cutie, haha. I love your giggle too, oh my gosh your giggle is adorable. Never stop giggling at my jokes, and never stop seductively winking at me. I love ya girlfriend x
I’m writing this as you are all cute and snuggled up with a pillow next to me. This is going to sound really creepy, but I was looking at you before and you’re actually adorable, like you’re the cutest everrrrrrrr! Even though you haven’t officially flatted with us this year, I feel like you’ve been with us the whole time. So the fact that you’re going to be an official flatmate in 2015 really excites me!! I love how you have all these hidden hobbies, talents and passions that some people would never know about unless they truly got know you…but I’m not going to spoil all the surprises for any readers (you have to find out for yourself!). I love how you're so outgoing and get so excited about life in general! And it’s not just about things that are happening to you, like when I told you about my idea of doing wedding planning you got sooo excited for me, maybe even more excited than I even was if that was possible! You are such a joy to be around, you bring a spark to my life and a spring to my step! I know that if I ever need someone to have a pick up line conversation with, or learn Beyonce choreography from a YouTube tutorial, I can just holla at ya, and you will be here in a jiffy. I love all your funny metaphorical and simile sentences too, like “sweet mother of pearl”, and “haters gonna hate, potatoes gonna potate”, you seem to be able to say the funniest things without ever getting tongue tied or forgetting the words, so effortless, I love it. Your such a great friend to have and I can't wait for a summer filled with fun! Love ya boo x
Here's to many more memories girls! x
Photo Credit: Natalie Ng
This is a special shout out to K.Daddy for his 23rd birthday! I promised Karam I would write a blog for him, so here ya go mate!
· Karam, flip, where do I begin? You can be sooo creepy sometimes! Haha. When you go up to people and deeply hum as a greeting… you grab the person’s hand, lean in and deeply hum in their ear. Or last night when you just stood behind me and deeply hummed in my ear for ages and I didn’t even realise… what a creep. Then there’s the weird two-finger greeting you do. Seriously Karam, that freaks me out so much. And how you do that weird thing with your fingers while you’re shaking the persons hand, ugh!
You are also way too good at saying “Hello, it’s Karen here”… and that’s all I have to say about that…
· I love how you always ask people to either: tell a story, sing to you, or dance for you. I love rising to the challenge of being weird to bring you joy, so never stop asking me to dance for you, I will forever grace you with my dramatic arm movements. It’s so funny seeing different peoples’ reactions when you ask them to step out of their comfort zones, while others rise to the occasion, some shy away from the opportunity to make a fool of themselves. Not only through dancing, story telling and singing, but you also challenge people in their lives and I’m sure I can speak for most people when I say that you challenge us for the better. You encourage people to look deeper at their lives and to dive deeper in their relationships with Christ. So never stop challenging people Karam, you do it so well.
· The fact that on your Instagram account you have 31 photos, of which none have a caption, let alone a hashtag, and 191 followers, is evidence enough that you take great photos. You have talent in photography, music, videography and conversation. You never talk to people about boring stuff, you ask great questions and you always generate colourful conversation. You are a talented drummer, guitar and ukulele player, and you excel in all areas of video editing and filming. What a star!
· There’s something about a man in a beard… and then the utter shock and confusion that hits you as the guy who once looked 22 turns into a 15year old boy again. Karam, your affect on people just by shaving your face is astounding. Also, your ability to grow the thickest, most dense, most manly, most full and glorious beard in the space of approximately three weeks is mind blowing. You have an ability to grow facial hair that other men of this world may be envious of!
· Karam, your biblical wisdom is both enlightening and encouraging to those around you. Just by sharing what God has been doing in your life and offering words of encouragement, you bring flavour to conversation that enriches our lives for the better.
So Happy Birthday Karam from all of us! May you be abundantly blessed in every way possible, and continue to shine your Arab light wherever you go. :)
I am a daughter of the King, a passionate expresser of positivity and a lover of lists, food and creative expression.